Sunday, April 20, 2014

Blog Post #13

The rate of technology being used in today's society and inside the classroom is constantly growing. If you as the teacher, had the opportunity to go paperless and use only technology in your classroom, would you? Why or why not?

image of paper floating around a laptop
As someone who has grown up in one of the first major technology generations I have never known what life would be like if technology was never available. However, I have always had books and paper along with the growing technology in my learning process. I think technology in the classroom is a must if we want our children to one day be able to function and thrive in our world. If they did not learn and evolve along with the growth of technology, we would be hindering them in so many ways because technology is becoming so prominent.

I think if students use the resources they are given, they could soar and learn so much they could not learn or did not have the time to learn during designated school hours. I also think that students should have the opportunity to hold the book while reading, not holding an iPad or reading from a computer screen. I think they should have to take notes and complete homework with pen and paper. Yes, technology is a great resource for students but if they learn everything from a computer screen, how are they supposed to learn how to write? How are they supposed to write anything without spell check or auto-correct? There is an endless amount of pros and cons of going paperless but if I had the option, I would not. The students need to learn how to answer a math problem with the steps and formulas before they can use a calculator. They need to know how it feels to flip a page of their favorite book. Yes, becoming a paperless classroom is possible and many teachers would probably do it in a heartbeat but as for me, I will stick to paper and pencils as long as I can.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sarah,

    This is actually a good question. I know that the world has become more and more involved with technology but I can not image never having simple pen and paper anymore. If this were to ever happen I feel like it will effect a lot of people. As we all know technology has a mind of its own and tends to mess up at any given time. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful tool but not a good tool to always depend on. There could come a time that your computer or smart board collapse during and class and you have no way to teach because there is no pen, paper or dry erase boards. So I definitely feel like paper and pencil should never go out of style because it is very dependable, easier, and quicker.

    ReplyDelete